Saturday, December 18, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday

Winter is here.
It's in the cold brisk morning air when I bring boiling water (to defrost the waterer) and hot tap water down to the chickens in the morning.
It's in the snow that falls every day.
It's in the two hour delays that good ole hubby calls in at least once a week.
It's in the bells ringing in front of red kettles outside stores.
Yes, it is here.

And so is gingerbread.
One of my favorite winter treats.

Gingerbread Pancakes
1 c. flour (I use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 Tbs. sugar

Stir together.

Mix in
1 egg
1 Tbs Molasses
1 c. milk

Heat up the griddle and oil well.  Pour on by the 1/4 cup.  When the edges get bubbly, flip it over and cook for an additional minute or so and serve...oh the toppings...syrup...powdered sugar...blueberries... Which brings me to..

Blueberry gingerbread
1/2 c. butter
1 egg
1.5 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 c. blueberries
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2.5 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. milk
3 Tbs. sugar

Cream the sugar and butter.  Add in the egg and molasses.  Stir in the spices, salt, and baking soda.  Stir in the flour.  Stir in the milk.  Fold in the blueberries.  Pour into a loaf pan and sprinkle with the 3 Tbs sugar.  Bake at 350 for 50 min or so.

I have about 20 pounds of frozen wild Maine blueberries in my freezers. 
Oh how I love these treats!

Again I am sorry about the lack of pictures, but so it goes...

Let me what you cook to remind you of the Holidays.

3 comments:

  1. Cinnamon buns remind me of the holidays, because my mom always made them on Christmas morning, and that was pretty much the only time. I think starting this year, I'm going to make them on Christmas morning too. Yum!

    Also, for dessert on Christmas Day my grandmother always made this thing called Crown Jewels, which was basically different coloured chunks of jello in a sort of whipped cream base...I loved it as a kid but the only time I ever had it was on Christmas. Hmmm, I wonder if my kids would like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 pounds of blueberries....oh, if only! I have my little blueberry bush still struggling on, not sure if it is ever going to produce that much.
    Gingerbread pancakes sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO making the pancakes tomorrow morning--with blueberries!
    Went to...the diner...tonight before taking the kids to a show and they were ALL OUT of gingerbread...unconstitutional!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.