Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Paleo: Sweet Potato Brownies... before you knock it...

I am completely inspired by the woman behind PaleOMG.  Not only has she created meals to satisfy my previously bored palate, she is able to come up with treats while staying within the Paleo guidelines!  
Love it!  
So, as I talked about in my previous post, making her sweet potato brownies was on my to-do list.
 It sounded quirky, but I like quirky.  The potato is something I've stayed away from, so this is a real treat! 
When you look at the recipe, it's hard to believe the end result would taste good.  Sweet potato?  In a brownie?  Sounds outrageous, but it's actually pretty good!  
They were so yummy!!!  I forgot to mix the chocolate chips in the batter before pouring it into the pan, so they were sprinkled on top instead.  As long as they made it into the brownie, I didn't care!  I tend to omit ingredients a lot when I'm baking.  Most of the time it's not a major ingredient.  For example, I once made pumpkin cheesecake for my husband and forgot to add the pumpkin!  It wasn't detrimental to the outcome, but it certainly didn't taste pumpkiny.  "There I go again!"
 Anyhow, (I also get side tracked easily) she uses Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, which are dairy, nut and soy free!  I have a hard time finding them where I live, but you could try your local health food store, or you can order 3 10oz packages of them here on Amazon, like I do.
The brownies were great!  Not too rich, and aside from the orange overtones, you couldn't really tell there was sweet potato in it.  It had a starchy taste, but it added a nice texture to the brownie.  
Bonus #1:  I didn't feel gross after eating them (yes, I had three pieces)!!! 
Bonus #2:  The kids loved them and wanted more!  They are a nice "healthy" option for them too.
 So, if you are curious at all, you should try making them.  They are a sweet surprise!  
And... as I tell my kids... You'll never know unless you try it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.