Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday

This started as a "EEEK what to make with the end of the month bits and pieces!" moment.

Now the cupboards are full and I am making one of Hubby's favorite meals.

Country Sister probably remembers this meal well.  It was one of the items our mom made and I got to help out often.  After getting married and realizing how much the Hubby loves cooked tomatoes, I started making it.  Now, it is one of our children's favorites as well.  W. likes asking about who taught me to make it, so I have to tell him all about Mimi letting me help when I was a little girl.  So here we go!

American Chop Suey
(not to be confused with the Chinese type)
Serves 4-6
(Leftovers make great lunches)

3/4 pound pasta (I use whole wheat, use what you like)
1-2 Tbs olive oil (depending on the fat content of the meat)
1 pound hamburger/ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 green pepper chopped (optional)
2 cans tomato soup (Condensed works best, but you can
just reduce two ready to use cans of soup too)
salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and hot pepper flakes to taste

Cook the pasta according to directions.  While you wait for the pasta water to boil, put the oil, hamburger, onion, garlic, and pepper in a large skillet.  Cook over medium heat until the meat is cooked through.  The water should be boiling and ready for the pasta at this point.  Add the tomato soup to the hamburger mixture and cook on med-low until the pasta is ready.  Drain the pasta and pour into the hamburger mixture.  Top with Parmesan cheese if you please.  It goes great with a nice salad (or, green beans for a more retro take.)  I also added a side of frozen blackberries.  

3 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds like a similar one I make, only instead of green pepper and herbs it's flavoured with Worcestershire sauce and grated cheese. I like it--it's easy, and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the memories! I do a chili mac variation now that involves lots of chili powder and cumin and diced tomatoes instead of the soup. Oh, and frozen corn! Then I have an excuse to load on the cheese. I have also been making it with the Ancient Harvest brand Quinoa elbows that have some corn in them. Big time family favorite!! And its gluten free for those that have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.