Saturday, January 15, 2011

Scrumptious Saturday

It's Saturday again...
This week I made some brown rice to be topped with
Cranberry pork roast.

I first made a batch of cranberry sauce
I had about 3/4 of a bag left so I added 3/4 cup honey and 3/4 cup water and brought it to a boil for about 5 minutes.  I put half of it away for later and added the other half to MY crock pot (somehow country sister believes it should be hers as it was our parents original 1970 orange crockpot.  She found another similar one in her junk yard pickings.)  
I then put in a 2 lb. pork roast which I had stabbed several times to let the sauce flavor it.
I also added about 1 tsp of garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper was well as about 2 tbs of vinegar.
I let it cook for about 4 hours.

And wallah! 
As I said, I sliced some up on top of a bed of brown rice with a little of the sauce.
I had pictures, but the focus is way off...sorry.
It was still yummy.

If you don't like the sweet and sour taste of it, you might not add the vinegar and instead add a little brown sugar and ketchup and make more of a cranberry bbq version.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so good, thanks for the recipe! We do eat a lot of pork because I can get it pasture raised. I'm always looking for good ideas for it. I suppose I could use dried cranberries (???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure...I may try to rehydrate and then cook them with some honey/sugar (reduced amount if already sweetened) and re hydrating liquid...and then pour it over? not sure, but good question! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning the cranberry sauce with a pork roast .. we're having such a roast for dinner and I have a half of bag of cranberries in the freezer. Good idea .. I checked on the Family Mill as you mentioned at my bread making blog post .. it would have been a good buy since I'm also interested in a food grinder .. oh well .. I'll be happy with the one I ordered. Nice to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.