Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A pile of fermentation

We got back from a mini-vacation yesterday afternoon.  
Typically I make yogurt on a weekly basis, but I didn't have time to before I left, 
so our old yogurt was a bit icky.
So today I had to revamp the yogurt from here.

I also received a package in the mail from Alaska thanks to 
This is my life at 720 square feet, she is such a sweet fierce momma!

In it was a pack of sourdough from Alaska!
(Have I ever mentioned my obsession with Alaska...
I have a ULU my parents brought back for me and now a living sourdough... and some beautiful books! 
Oh it is just too much!)
I love sourdough.
I love it with passion.
I have wanted to make a good one for a while, but just didn't have the courage to make one from scratch 
(what if it made awful sourdough) 
and I couldn't find a starter that was an old strain locally.
C. and I mixed it up (with a bit of a struggle over the whole spoon issue.  
C. didn't want to use a wooden spoon.  
Her metal spoon would spell certain death for the dough.)
So now I have that fermenting over the top of my yogurt on a heating pad.
I have a large pile of fermentation slowly cooking away.
I love all the little creatures making food yummy.

So I will post this without pictures in hope that I find my camera after the long car ride and will later post a picture of my heap.

5 comments:

  1. What a lucky guess about the sourdough. Can't wait to see it in action. Yogurt and sourdough sounds like a yummy combo. If this one fails I will send you another:)

    I have another fierce mamma to add to our list.
    http://alittlecraftynest.typepad.com/a-little-crafty-nest/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sourdough! I wish I could eat sourdough bread everyday, but sadly I think my bread eating days are over. I hope you post when you bake your bread as I would love to at least look at it.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Alaska. I spent some of my most memorable times there and it was the first time I had sourdough Pancakes. I hope you starter pulls through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Seeing that you’re a green advocate (and blogger) I wanted to reach out and see if you were interested in an article that I recently have written. It's on the Olympics and the steps they're taking to go green and decrease the environmental impact that it has. While sports is something far from the topic of your blog, I think that you will find it interesting and informative, and not overwhelming on the sports content, besides a few facts on the last Olympics, it is primarily about the Olympics going Green.

    I'm looking to spread awareness of the fact that even though the Olympic Games are fantastic and unifying, they are it's quite a carbon-rich event and are not that environmentally sound.

    Nerissa Barry
    nerdbarry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's a bit exciting! Looking forward to hearing of your sourdough travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.