Saturday, March 5, 2011

Scrumptious Saturday...Cook once for 3 days.

Sorry, the whole household has been sick.
The seasonal flu and cold took me out for a while.
I was planning on posting this last Scrumptious Saturday.
But, better late than never.

I love making roasts.
Why?
You cook once and can eat for days.
I made a 2 pound pork roast make 3 meals for 4 people
(aka 12 meals or about 1.25 oz/person/day at a cost of less than a dollar a meal.)
Day 1 Recipe
1 2 lb pork loin roast
1 can tomato paste
4 cloves garlic peeled
veggie stock
seasonings to your liking

Rub seasonings onto pork.  Cut 4 deep slits into the pork and insert garlic into the holes.  Place the roast into a hot pan with some oil and sear it off.  Pour in veggie broth mixed with the tomato paste.  Put in oven at 300 degrees until tender. Serve with rice (hint...make too much rice so you have leftover rice) and savor.

Save the roasting liquid and make into BBQ sauce by adding
sweetener (molassas, brown sugar, and honey all do nicely and play together nicely as well.  Amounts vary as some like sweet bbq and some like hot.  It also varies by the type of sweetener(s) you use.)
hot pepper powder (I use a touch, like 1/8 tsp of chyanne pepper)
garlic powder (as much or as little as you wish)
ketchup (about 1/4 c)
lemon juice (about 1/4 c)
vinegar (again depending on what kind you like and how sweet/sour you like it.)

Take half of the leftovers and dice...refrigerate with your leftover rice and then make fried rice.

Take the other half, shred it using 2 forks and cook in the above bbq sauce.

My family doesn't always like to eat "theme and variations" style, so I will let you know that the bbq and the fried rice all freeze nicely. 

What else would you do with this "theme and variation"

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really yummy!! Thank you for the recipe! thanks for stopping by my blog today and for the advice on the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just found your blog and I am excited to read more. As far as variations, we don't eat much beef around here, but I will cook up 2 chickens and the first day, we will have roast chickens with the fixin's, then, splitting the leftovers, we will have a chicken stir-fry with rice, then chicken curry and if there is anything left, we may have chicken salad sandwiches. Along with that, I boil up the bones and make some soup! I love to stretch those recipes and the food budget! I'll be back to read more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.