Saturday, October 30, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday


So my last post I decided to meal plan...
Each Saturday I will post what I made for dinner one night during the last week.
Included will be the recipe as well as some pictures.
You can link to what you made, and I will have the hubby peruse your recipes/pictures/etc and decide what will be added to the meal plan for the next month (YOU WIN...the joy and satisfaction you made a great meal.) And if it is super great, I may even write about your wonderful meal as I made it (and share with the world how great your meal was!)

You can peruse as well and maybe you'll find something that you like...That way with meal planning, we'll never get bored!
Without further ado...here's my first Scrumptious Saturday!

GREEK PIZZA

Friday night is glorious...
We are home together with a chance to reconnect after a week of work, school, and other busy activities.
So what brings a family together better than pizza.

Crust
makes about 4 servings
1 Tbs. Yeast
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp each dried oregano, garlic powder, basil and sea salt
1/4 tsp ginger (helps make the dough rise quicker)
2 tsp olive oil+ oil to coat the bowl
1c warm water.
1 3/4 c. flour (any mixture of white and wheat flours)
Corn Meal (about 1/4 c.)

My yeast, herbs and salt mixture
Put the yeast and herbs in a large bowl.  Add in the water, oil, and honey.  Let sit a moment, then add the flour slowly.  Once it creates a ball, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.  Oil the bowl and place the dough back into the bowl (roll around to coat the ball so it doesn't dry out.)
Cover with a dishtowel and let sit in a warm location for about 15 min.

Turn up the oven to around 450 degrees.  If you have a pizza stone preheat it and place a pan of water below it.

All ready to go in the oven!
Sprinkle corn meal onto the back of a cookie sheet/pizza peel (so the rim of the cookie sheet faces down to make sliding the pizza off possible)

Pat out dough into a circle (we make personal sized pizzas so everyone can choose what the want on it and get the kiddos involved.)

Top with whatever catches you fancy.


Yummy!

I made Greek(ish) pizza
(Old Mother Hubbard did not have olives)
Tomato Sauce
Feta
Onion
Tomatoes
Mozzarella
Spinach
Oregano

I had my doubts, but I had everything on hand.  It would have been better with some olives, but they were not available, and I'm not going out to get an item...as per my writing on Thursday.  I was pretty pleased with the nutrition of it...grain (check), protein (check), veggies (check), delicious (check), kiddos devouring it... (CHECK!)

2 comments:

  1. Pizza and my family certainly go hand in hand. When all of us come home for school break, that's when we order pizza for dinner. Of course, with a delicious looking recipe like this, maybe we should start making our own pizzas. By the way, I'll be holding a CSN giveaway on my blog next Monday, so be sure to check back then for a chance to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Just stopping by to say thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.