Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bread...Oui...יאָ

I love the Silver Palate Cookbook.  I found it at my favorite used bookstore after years of coveting my (and Country Sister's too) mom's copy.  From our New Year's duck to carrot cake, it has never steered me wrong.  So, when my bread making attempts started to sour (quite literally all my bread started being sour) I turned to it. 

First I made Challa (hence "yes" in Yiddish written in the title, that's what the little symbol is.)  It was perfect; solid for slicing, lacked a fermented taste like many of the other breads I had made recently (too little baking, too large a loaf, rising time issues etc) So this bread was great.

I figured if one bread from the book turned out so well, I would try another, the notoriously difficult Brioche.  It took several risings and less flour than in the recipe, but it again turned out beautifully.


So here it goes...I once took an anthropology class where the professor (who looked like Santa) posed a question as to if there was an ethnicity/nationality that did not have their own bread.  Since I cannot think of one, do you think it a good idea to teach bread while teaching geography/world cultures in order to have a continuous theme/bread supply?

1 comment:

  1. The brioche looks perfect! What a great find on the book too...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.