Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The wrong tomato...

Every Spring, Doug Oster hands out seeds like candy.  And these are not just any seeds, but they are tomato seeds he is helping to resurrect from heirloom obscurity it is the Limbaugh Legacy.  It's how he goes about it that is strange...he hands them out for free with one little clause...you must send back the seeds from your first tomato from the plant that the seeds grow...then you should save the seeds from you second tomato for yourself and hand out any seeds from other tomatoes...or just eat the tomatoes and enjoy.  While this is a noble cause, there is one problem...people unfamiliar with tomato growing may not know how to read the description and know what type of tomato it is...
The description is a large bright red tomato that is late developing that grows on a potato leaved plant.  The tomatoes that grew from my seeds were large...and they were late developing...and the plant was definitely potato leaved...but they were not red...no I got another Black Krim/Purple Cherokee (and if anyone can tell me a definitive way to tell them apart I would be grateful.)
So since I know the difference, I will not be sending my seeds back in, but will instead be saving my seeds for next year and in the meantime, I'll turned my first (and only since the chickens got the rest...) into...
My favorite sandwich (well that's a tie with a #17 from Zuchinnos... or maybe the Thanksgiving Sandwich...How I love the sandwich.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.