Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Patience....rewarded

The past two nights I have gone to do the last check on my 8 year old  (which I am slightly ritualistic about and have been doing now for...well...8 years) I have been met with a beautiful sight.  She, squeezed tightly but surprisingly joyously into her twin bed with her 4 year old sister.  They share a room (even though they each have their own) and they share a bed (even though there are two beds in that shared room).  I guess years of co-sleeping wear off hard.  They both love the company of each other in that tiny bed.  But wait, I digress.  Moving past just the lovliness a mom experiences watching her children just sleep after a long and crazy day, my 8 year old has, is it?, yes, tucked under her drooly face, .........a book!  It has happened.  That moment when reading becomes a joy, a passion, an addictive behaviour.  When she walks around with her thumb tucked into the spine and retreats upstairs for some quiet time to finish those last couple chapters in her hammock.  I am so quietly happy for her and her new found love.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful moment, indeed! I remember sneaking a flashlight into my room so I could read under the covers long after I was supposed to be asleep...reading became my life-long obsession and so harmless compared to what other kids get up to. Good for you, this doesn't happen by accident.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.