Thursday, December 23, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday...early: A cup of coffee...Theme and variations

I will not be posting on Saturday for Scrumptious Saturday...
It is Christmas.
So I am posting early.
I love my family.
I enjoy coffee.
Hence my recent comment about my compost heap providing caffeine for the neighborhood scroungers.
All coffee grinds go in to the heap.
A few weeks ago my sister-in-law came over for our traditional Thursday night cooking class. 
As a little treat, we made one of my favorite drinks...

Almond Cold Brew

First you need Cold Brew Coffee

1 c. coarsely ground coffee (as if for a French press)
2 c. cold water
(or a similar ratio)
1 quart jar
cheesecloth, strainer, or coffee filter, French press 
or a combination of the above.

Place coffee and water in a quart jar (yes, all mixed up.) 
Cover and give it a good shake and then let sit for about 6 hours on the counter.
Strain the coffee through the filtering method into another clean jar.
Keeps in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Cold brewing gives you all the caffeine and a smooth taste without all the acid or bitterness and stomach turning parts that make coffee not so delightful.

  • To make regular hot coffee mix in a ratio of 1 part coffee to 3 parts boiling water (alter to your preference.) 
  • Heat straight up for super strong coffee.
  • Mixed with sweetened condensed milk 50/50 it makes what they called Cafe Bon Bon when I was in Spain.
  • To make Almond Cold Brew mix about 1 part cold brew to 4 parts sweetened vanilla almond milk. (I usually use  Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.)
  • Mix one part cold brew, one part chocolate syrup, and 3-4 parts hot milk for a nice mocha.
  • Mix in as some of the liquid for a baked chocolate recipe to make a chocolate espresso item.
What else can you make with Cold Brew?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.