Sunday, August 15, 2010

While the Gardener is away...

One Spectacular Weed
While on vacation, our chicken sitter did a great job keeping the girls (hens) alive and well.  The area suffered sweltering heat accompanied by little rain and so he watered the garden.  Thus, the weeds took off.  The girls were pleased to receive lots of green leafy treats.  I guess that's what you get when you go for two weeks without weeding! 
Despite the neglect the garden suffered, I got our first good mini harvest.

My First Mini-Harvest
We had a torrential downpour last night and one of my little baby bell peppers suffered an early separation from the plant...oh well it will still taste wonderful.  I love this time of year when the harvests can just be incorporated into meals...I'm just not ready to can the sauce yet.

2 comments:

  1. The first harvest is the most exciting harvest! After all the work and waiting, I was excited over my one tennis ball (maybe I waited a little too long) sized lemon cucumber! Woo Hoo! That was a little while ago now, and I just harvested cucumber #2...not the year for cukes here in NH I guess. Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I bet you are so thankful for the cukes that you do have. Homegrown tastes so much better than anything you can buy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.