Friday, August 27, 2010

Gleaning by the sea...




A bit back City Sister posted about her unique jamming experience with rose hips.  It was really quite an epic jam tale.  The hips were originally gleaned on Muscongus Bay.  We then divided them and she toted her stash 700 miles home...unpacked from a 3 week vacation and somehow managed to pull off a jamming event. 

I, on the other hand, brought my gleaned hips home.  15 mile trip.  And on the same weekend that we processed 110 chickens from field to freezer and threshed wheat and also played hard with the visiting inlaws and cousins--I began to jam.  I picked stems with my sister in law, I boiled down juice, I strained the juice, put juice in the fridge.  Uhhhhhhhh.  I put juice in the fridge.  Uhhhhhh.

I won't post a picture of the current status of the juice.  Suffice to say--when you have too many irons in the fire, eventually one goes untended.  Or gets a skim of mold across the top and takes on a strange odor.  And City Sister can attest that my fridge is one place in my house where wierd things tend to happen.  I attribute it to an abundance of fresh veggies and foods lacking any preservative.  Yup, thats it.

So the Jam-off, taste test is a wash.  We'll have to change course.  I do love course changes.  They almost always end you up in a pleasently unexpected destination.

1 comment:

  1. Why yes I can, anything pink and fluffy growing in there right now?...The Nearings used to put a tablespoon of rose hip juice in their tea every day for vitamin C. Good for them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.