Friday, September 10, 2010

One Potato, Two Potato

Late post today...

Every year our veggie garden has ups and downs, success and failure.  Every year I narrow down what we plant and try to be more efficient in balancing fresh eats, storage crops, flavors and calories.  One of our staples has always been, of course, the potato.  This is Maine.  Big success is typical each year on the potatoes, carrots and butternut squash which all go into the root cellar (our crazy crawl space under our house where the veggies think they are still underground).  Squash actually goes in another part that is more like a cool dry closet.  Works great. 
Until this year when we missed the potato planting window.  Drat!  The squirrel in me was fretting a bit over the status of our starch storage. 
Enter my dear fellow farmer friend who casually mentioned one day that they "over planted" potatoes for their family of 5. 
It didn't take us long to concoct a barter of harvest work for food.  So today I spent the morning and early afternoon helping her with her potato harvest and she loaded up the back of my car with enough potatoes to get our family through the winter. 
I have dirt under my nails and am ready for bed. 
We have fields to turn under tomorrow and a hoophouse to plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting with us girls...put your feet up and stay for a while.